Friday, July 25, 2008

Asian Slaw

I have a lot of heads of cabbage for reasons well known. I decided to make this quasi Asian Slaw that I eat at book club. It is good and involves ramen noodles. I always imagine some housewife making this up, thinking it is "exotic" and "Chinesey".

Slaw
Here is the bowl with chopped veggies. There is cabbage, carrots, scallions, sliced snow peas, and canned mandarin orange slices. Cabbage, mandarin oranges and scallions are key, everything else I just added.

Korean Vinegar
This is the vinegar I use.

Juice and Vinegar
You mix the juice from the can of mandarin orange slices with the vinegar. It should be one to one ratio. Taste it, it should be tart and sweet.

The only ramen noodles I eat
Next comes the ramen noodles. These are the only ones I eat.

Ramen Noodles
Crumble the ramen noodles on top of the slaw.

Soup packet
Add the soup packet to the vinegar mixture.

Added the almonds
Add some slivered toasted almonds.

Slaw dressing
Add the oil to the dressing. I used a little sesame oil and plain vegetable oil. I like my vinaigrettes in a one to one ratio with oil and vinegar.

Combine dressing and slaw right before serving. Toss and enjoy. Don't make too much! It will not keep.


Cilantro and scallions

Also, this is a great way to keep scallions and cilantro.

No comments: