Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Black Beans for the economy

Dinner

I used to hate cooking with dried beans. It took foresight to make them. I would have to soak them the night before and what not. Well, in the new frugal economy, I made them because they are SO CHEAP.

This is what I did tonight

Minjenah's Black Beans

Eight ounces of black beans, soaked in water overnight, DO NOT DRAIN

2 stalks of celery, chopped to about the size of the soaked bean
3 carrots, chopped to about the size of the soaked bean
Three cloves of garlic, smashed
Oregano, Fresh 20 leaves (Herb Gardens rock!)
Olive oil

Chicken base
Water

Salt
Pepper
Cilantro stems
Lime Juice

Take the olive oil and put some in a pot. I used my five quart pot. Add the celery and carrots (I normally use onions too but we had no onions and WE MAKE DO IN THIS ECONOMY)and garlic. Brown until it is fragrant (ten minutes).

In the meantime, mix the chicken base with the soaked beans. Chicken base is a cheater item. I use it to add a salty oomph to foods that would taste weird with soy sauce. It will not dissolve completely but you tried. Add the bean mixture to the browned veggies.

Bring to a boil and let simmer for a while. I let it simmer all afternoon. The beans should be soft but not mush. Right before you serve it, taste it to see if it needs salt and pepper. It will probably not need too much salt since you used the chicken base but I like a lot of pepper. Then add cilantro stems. Stir in quickly and serve with rice. Put a wedge of lime on the side. I also added some sour cream because I really like dairy.

Makes a LOT.

Oh and the toddler LOVED it.

ALL DONE
This is her asking for more.

1 comment:

KP said...

I have a hard time cooking with dried beans too. The soaking, I always forget the soaking.