Sunday, November 1, 2009

Mocha Cake

So I made this mocha cake for my MIL's birthday. It was so good that it was requested for someone else.

004
I never made it to cake decorating class.

Mocha cake

It is the chocolate mayonnaise cake but I put in cold double espresso instead of cold coffee. What is double espresso in Minjenah's world? I make regular espresso in a moka pot. Then I run the espresso again with fresh grounds. The resulting stuff is like coffee syrup.

The other thing is I make a mocha boozy syrup with one part double espresso, one part sugar and one part dark rum. I usually do two ounces of each. After the cake is baked, I brush it with the syrup. I use about a half cup of the boozy mocha syrup.

The remaining quarter cup of boozy goodness is mixed with four ounces of cooled melted dark baking chocolate, one stick of softened butter, one 16 ounce box of powdered sugar, a teaspoon of vanilla and a pinch of salt. It is whipped in my Kitchen Aid. That is the frosting.

I decorate it with dark chocolate covered espresso beans.

If anyone wants me to actually write the whole recipe in a post I will. But this is how I do it.

1 comment: