Saturday, December 12, 2009

Bakepaloozah 2009 Part Three: Toffee

I do not own a candy thermometer. I should, but I don't. Yet I can make this toffee:

003
quite easily. I was afraid of candy making and hard crack or soft crack or whatever. But I can do this and so should you!

Toffee
1 stick of butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup slivered almonds

Before you start, line a cookie sheet with foil and brush lightly with melted butter.

Take the butter and sugar and melt it in a pot. Stir it until it makes a syrup. Keep stirring it until there are wisps of smoke coming out. This takes about seven minutes. You can tell it is ready by the wisps of smoke and it will get a shade darker.

Pour immediately onto the greased cookie sheet. Sprinkle the chocolate over it and cover with an inverted cookie sheet to keep the heat in. This stuff is HOT so I do not recommend doing this around children. Even though children want to flock around because you are making candy. When the choclate chips get shiny, spread them to make a smooth layer of chocolate. Sprinkle on the almonds and press down slightly so that they stick.

Let cool completely and break into yummy chunks.

Note: you can double this recipe but it seems to add two more minutes for the stirring.

1 comment:

KP said...

Yummy! I love toffee!