Friday, December 25, 2009

Sausage Balls

008

Sausage balls are something my college roommate's mother made for us. They are totally bad for you and delicious as things that are totally bad for you can be. The thing is, I never made them until today. Every gathering I attend that I think sausage balls should be there, they are there. But I wanted some today and they were not there.

So I googled some recipes to make them myself. And they all called for Bisquick. But see, I do not buy Bisquick. So I looked up what is in Bisquick, and improvised. By improvised, I added scallions.

Minjenah's Sausage balls

1 pound of sausage (I used Jimmy Dean Sage), at room temperature
4 cups shredded cheese ( I used a mixture of Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack and White Cheddar), at room temperature
1/2 cup finely diced scallions
2 cups of flour
1 tablespoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Combine the sausage and cheese with your hands until it is a uniform pink globby mess. Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl until well mixed. Add the floury stuff to the globby stuff until it is a uniform color of lighter pink glob with spots of green.

Roll into one inch balls.

Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until they look like the picture above.

The original recipe I linked to says it makes 5 dozen but when I made it I got three dozen. Maybe my inch is off....

No comments: