Sunday, January 3, 2010

No Knead Bread

So my wonderful friend KC got me this book for Christmas.

007

Yeah, I am lucky to have wonderful friends who share my cookbook passion.

So I decided to dust off the No Knead Bread Recipe. This is my favorite version of this recipe. Jaden's four year old son does an amazing job of making the bread.

Here is the finished loaf.
009


Oh yeah, did I mention that we ate 7/8's of this bread before bed?

Jim Lahey's Sullivan Street Bakery No Knead Bread

Adapted by Minjenah

400 grams bread flour
1 gram yeast
8 grams salt (I use Kosher)
300 grams water (I used cool water from the tap)

Did you notice that I used weight measurements? I am trying to do that more with baking because you get more consistent results. Also, I finally have an accurate scale.

Mix the first three ingredients with a dough whisk (yes I own a dough whisk--I make pizza every other week, so it gets used more than my regular whisk)

Add the water and combine until it is a shaggy mess. Cover it with a tea towel (what is the difference in a tea towel and a kitchen towel?) and ignore it for at least 12 hours.

After it has doubled in size, flip it over onto the tea towel with a dough scraper from the bowl. Before you flip the dough in, dust the tea towel with flour. I hold the tea towel by the ends and form a loose ball with the dough.

Put it back into the bowl, in the tea towel and let it rise again. About two hours.

Preheat your oven to 475. Get your dutch oven in there while it preheats. Leave it there for thirty minutes.

You can overlap the last rising with the preheating of the dutch oven. I recommend it.

Dump the bread in the dutch oven with the lid on for 30 minutes.

Take the lid off and let bake for 20 minutes more (the recipe specifies 15-30 so decide how brown you like it)

Wait a PAINFUL twenty minutes to eat generous slices thick with butter.


Here are the slices:
014

I am challenging my sister to make this!

2 comments:

Drew Kleinhans said...

I actually bought some bread, croissants, and a killer Cuban sandwich from Sullivan Street Bakery back in October on our trip to NYC. What a great book and some GREAT looking bread too - I'm jealous. Tell KC/JC I said hello. We all need to do dinner sometime.

Minjenah said...

Sure! This bread is really easy. Everyone should make it.