Sunday, February 14, 2010

Dumplings by Minjenah

I normally buy my dumplings frozen. But I was reading the LA times article on dumplings and it got me thinking that maybe it was time for me to make some. Now, I did not have a real recipe to follow but I was thinking that dumplings are the perfect little meat strecher. You take a little bit of meat, throw some flavorful stuff in and BOOM tasty goodness.

Dumplings by Minjenah

INGREDIENTS:
One pound ground turkey (I used the fatty kind)
4 ounces kimchee, finely chopped
One tablespoon minced ginger
4 scallions chopped
3 T minced cilantro
2 T dark soy sauce
1 T sesame oil

36 wonton skins (I bought a package at the local Asian mart. Next time, I will try to make them myself.)


METHOD:
Combine the first seven ingredients until well combined. To do this, I used a pair of chopsticks. To make sure the seasoning is correct, I fried one minimeatball up in a skillet.

Put a scant teaspoon in a wonton skin. I like to do this in an assembly line fashion. It appeals to my engineering side.
003

Wet your finger with water and wet two edges. Seal the wonton skin up, taking care to press most of the air out.
002

Makes 36, plus extra filling for another day.

I ended up freezing about 24 of them. But yohboh and I ate some, pan fried:
001

3 comments:

KP said...

Those look good! I have been obsessed with dumplings lately! I have a book and some good recipes, but it's a time issue. Yours look yummy")

Minjenah said...

Kye,

I am always obsessed with dumplings. I have the Momofuku book so now I want to make pork buns.

KP said...

Me too! Well, just the buns with different fillings. I made the pork belly already and they were to "porky" for me. I'd rather eat bacon. But that said, I was going to make the bun part and fill it with different things:) Let's do it!