Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Mashed Potato Rolls

I love no knead bread. Sometimes, I want some little buttery rolls. So I made these:

002

They are made with mashed potatoes. Which leads me to believe that they will freeze well. This recipe made about 36 of them. I froze a lot of them for later.

1.5 cups warm water
3 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon yeast

1 cup mashed potatoes, room temperature
4 Tablespoons butter, melted

200 grams whole wheat flour
300 grams bread flour
2 Tablespoons wheat gluten
1 tablespoon salt


Bloom the yeast in the warm water and honey. When it is all poofy, add the mashed potatoes and butter.

In a large bowl, combine the flours, gluten and salt. Add the yeasty mixture and combine until it comes together.

I poured it out onto a floured counter and kneaded it for about 10 minutes. Kneading is one of the most relaxing things you can do.

I put it in a buttered bowl and let it rise until doubled.

Then I punched it down and made 36 little golf ball sized rolls.

I took about 8 and put them in a pan and let them rise until they were poofy (about an hour). I baked those at 375 for about 25 minutes.

The other 28, I put in a freezer bag so when I want buttery rolls, I have them.

No comments: