Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Salad Savings

004

One of the ways that I have really tightened our food budget is I started making salads. What does this mean?

I stopped buying the bagged salads. They were so expensive and they never lasted but a few days. The cheapest I could ever get a bagged salad was 99 cents for six ounces.

I buy a head of romaine, a cucumber, a salad onion and some grape tomatoes and I have salad for at least a week. Also when you buy the vegetables unprocessed, like a head of romaine, they tend to last longer. We are still eating a head of lettuce from that I bought on the 12th of last month.

I used to buy the salad bags because I thought they were more convenient. For me to make the salad that is pictured above (which looks good, yes?), took about 2 minutes.

So my advice to those of you who do not want to coupon to save money: buy less convenience or processed foods. Yes, you will have to cook more, but if you are reading this blog, I know that cooking is something that interests you.

No comments: