Friday, October 1, 2010

September Grocery Challenge

This month, I decided to spent less than 150 dollars on groceries. I did not. I spent $161.57, which is disappointing. The budget breaker was rib eye steaks.

I have tried to show a bit more what we ate this month. When I grocery shop, I am primarily replenishing my pantry. If you see multiple items of something, it is at a stock up price. This concept completely changed my grocery budget. I am not shopping for meals, I see what I have on hand and go from there. For meat, dairy and produce, I buy as I go, always trying to be mindful of the price. Also, I started with a well stocked pantry, very full freezer and a vegetable garden.

If you are interested in what $161.57 looks like in the Beef and Chocolate world:

Dairy:
8 pounds YoPlait Yo Plus Yogurt
14 6 ounce tubs Greek yogurt
4.5 dozen eggs
1 pound cheese
1 quart half and half
3 pounds Mozzarella
3 quarts Lactaid Milk
1 pound sour cream
9.5 pounds cream cheese
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese

Meat:
3.51 pounds rib eye steak
4 packages Hormel Pepperoni
5.43 Pounds ground beef
4.18 pounds ground pork
1 pound chopped steak
1.5 pounds pork chops
2.06 pounds Porterhouse Steak
2 pounds chicken thighs
3 pounds T bone steaks
8.56 Pounds Pork Butt
1 pork tenderloin

Pantry Items:

2 10.5 ounce bags Lay's Potato Chips
4 jars Newman's Own Spaghetti Sauce
8 Boxes Cheez-its
Wasa Crisp 7 Grain crackers
1 pound lentils
2 packages Mission Tortillas
4 packages M&M pretzels
4 bottles Sobe Lifewater
8 Yakisoba Noodles
2 Crystal Light on the go
2 bags candy corn
10 canisters Quaker Oatmeal
8 hamburger buns
2 boxes baking soda
10 bottles 46 ounce Apple and Eve apple juice
4 boxes Glory Cornbread Mix
1 32 ounce carton College Inn Chicken Broth
2 packages Orange Jello
2 boxes Krusteaz Waffle Mix

Produce:
3 bell peppers
1 head celery
26 ounces snow peas
6 bananas
1.76 Delicata squash
8 ounces mushrooms

2 comments:

KG said...

Wow, that's awesome how little produce you have to buy!

Question...where do you store all that stuff? 10 canisters of oatmeal??? I don't even really have room for 2.

Minjenah said...

I have a laundry room/pantry that is the size of a bedroom. I have a lot of shelves in there as well.