Friday, December 3, 2010

Cracked Italian Cream Cake

Behold Yohboh's birthday cake.

Cracked Cake

It cracked because I did not wait long enough to let it cool completely.

Normally, I like to make a dessert the night before it is served but that did not happen. Also, THIS IS A CHEATER CAKE! I used cake mix. Yeah, I admit it. I like to bake cakes all the way back from flour but I was short on time. I did make the frosting all the way back from sugar, though.

But I did doctor this cake to make it Italian Cream Cake-esque.

Cracked Italian Cream Cake

For the cake
White cake mix
3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup praline liqueur
1/3 cup oil
3 ounces shredded coconut
Additional 1/4 cup praline liqueur

For the frosting
1 8 ounce block of cream cheese at room temperature
1 stick of butter at room temperature
1 pound powdered sugar
3 tablespoons praline liqueur
3 ounces shredded coconut
halved pecans

Make the cake based on the box instructions but instead of the water use the buttermilk and liqueur. Add the coconut when the cake is well mixed. Bake the cake in two pans according to the instructions.

When the cakes are done, let them cool completely (I did not follow this step.) Brush them with the 1/4 cup of praline liqueur.

While the cake is cooling, make the frosting. Take a hand mixer and combine the butter and cream cheese until it is well whipped and fluffy. Sift the sugar in and use the mixer to whip it up. Add the praline liqueur and whip it up too.

Frost your cake and add the pecans and shredded coconut to decorate. I let my three year old do the coconut. She said it was funny but kinda good cheese.

No comments: