Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Chicken, Sausage and Rice

I have been making a version of Chicken and Rice for years. But I have noticed that the original recipe is not really what I do anymore. I use it for a base, but really I tend to use what I have on hand. Tonight, I defrosted some chicken thighs and had some cocktail sausage in the fridge.

002

Chicken, Sausage and Rice

1T olive oil
4 chicken thighs
16 ounces cocktail sausages

1 chopped onion
1 chopped bell pepper
4 cloves garlic, smashed

1 cup brown rice
1T paprika
2T cumin

1 glass of white wine
1 can Rotel
2 cups chicken broth

10 ounces frozen peas

In a dutch oven, heat the olive oil over high heat. Add the chicken and let it brown on both sides. Take the chicken out and put it on a plate. Add the sausage and let it brown. Take the sausage out put it on the same plate. There should be a brown bit of fat at the bottom on the dutch oven.

Put the onion, pepper, and garlic in the fat and let it brown, about ten minutes It should deglaze the brown stuff at the bottom of the pan. Add the rice, cumin and paprika. Let it cook a bit in the fat, about five minutes.

While the veggies are cooking, I like to cut the chicken up into bite sized pieces. I put the chicken back on the plate.

Add the wine to the rice mixture and let it reduce by half. Add the Rotel, chicken broth and all the meats.

Cover and put it down to a simmer until the rice is done. About an hour. Stir frequently so nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan.

When the rice is done, take the pot off the heat and add the frozen peas.

Makes a vat.

No comments: