Monday, January 10, 2011

Creamy Turnip Soup

This is the view outside my living room:
DSC_0021

and I had to make soup.

DSC_0020

I have to say, as I get older I am more of a vegetable girl. This soup is fairly healthy and has no cream but is wonderfully luscious and creamy from the pureeing.

Creamy Turnip Soup

2 Tablespoons bacon fat
2 onions finely chopped
2 turnips, finely chopped
2 potatoes, finely chopped
1 quart of chicken broth

In a large pot, saute the onions in the bacon fat over medium heat. When the onions are brown add the turnips and potatoes. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Cover the pot and let simmer for about 10 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Add the broth and let simmer for another ten minutes. Put a stick blender in and let it whir.

Made enough for lunch today and tomorrow for three people.

No comments: