Tuesday, February 1, 2011

January Grocery Challenge

So I challenged myself to buy only 100 dollars worth of groceries for the month of January.
Here are my rules:
1) Meals out do not count.
2) That being said on average we eat one meal out a week, which we normally eat with a coupon.
3) I eat most of my meals at home, as does my child. Yohboh brings lunch with him most of the time. He also seems to get a free meal at his job every week or so.

Well I did not.

I spent $104.08.

My downfall was the ground cumin I bought in bulk for $5.69. If I had not bought that, we would have been all good. The big thing for us was that after the holidays we had SO MUCH food. Also, we had a big snowstorm that prevented me from grocery shopping for a week. We have a few friends who come by every week for dinner so we fed them as well. I know some people are going to be shocked at how little produce I bought but I had a lot at the beginning of the month and we have a freezer full of veggies as well.

I think I get the most mail when I publish my list of what I bought for the month. The items with an asterisk (*) are the ones that I got for free using coupons. I did add the sales tax from the free items into my total.

What I bought this month:

Dairy
4 Yoplait Fiber One Yogurt
4 dozen eggs
2 Yoplait Smoothie Mix
4 Egg Beaters
19 pounds Yo Plus Yogurt *
4 Mini Babybel 10 packs
1/2 pound extra sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese
8 ounces heavy whipping cream

Frozen
4 boxes Power of Fruit bars
4 Whole Fruit Sorbet

Meat
8 pounds ground beef
2 pounds of pork chops
7.85 pounds ham
5.5 pounds whole chicken
1.12 pounds rib eye steak

Pantry
4 canisters Quaker oatmeal
4 Pepperidge Farm Deli Flats
4 jars Peter Pan Peanut Butter
2 packages Swiss Miss Hot cocoa *
1 tube mini M & M's *
1 Reese's peanut butter cup *
4 2 liter diet soda
1 pound split peas
4 bags Wise BBQ chips
10 12 packs of Coca Cola *
Hamburger Buns
1 Loaf Arnold Multi Grain Bread
1 package yellow cake mix
Bonito Furikake
1 pound of ground cumin

Produce
3.3 pounds of bananas
2 heads of lettuce
1 head of broccoli
2 turnips
2 pounds of carrots

No comments: