Thursday, March 17, 2011

Birthday Collards

My friend, N, loves collard greens. More specifically, she loves yohboh's collard greens. Between that and his potato salad, she would be in culinary heaven.

Well for her birthday, instead of baking her a cake (N. is not a sweets person), I made her collard greens.

002

I adapted yohboh's recipe because his calls for smoked neck bones and I did not have any. I used bacon. Yohboh said they were perfectly acceptable but the best collards come from neck bones. I should add I picked these collards from our garden.

Birthday Collard Greens

6 slices of thick cut bacon, cut cubes
1 large onion, diced
1 Tablespoon chicken base

3 pounds of collards, thick stem removed and sliced into long ribbons.

In a large pot, brown the bacon until all the fat is rendered out. Add the onion and chicken base and let it cook in the bacon fat until the onions turn a touch brown. Season with salt and pepper. Add a cup of water and let it come to a simmer. The liquid should be fairly dark. Add all of the collards. There is not enough water, I know that. But you want the collards to wilt because better not enough pot liquor than too much. Cover the pot and let them be for about five minutes, all the while keeping the pot to a simmer. The collards will have wilted quite a bit. Fold the collards so that the bottom ones that are wilted will be on top. Cover and let simmer another five minutes. After all the collards are wilted, add enough water to BARELY cover. Let it simmer for about an hour until the collards turn from bright green to dull army green.

My picky godson ate this! It was because of the bacon.

No comments: