Friday, March 4, 2011

Soup Improv

So I woke up today and it was a windy blustery day. The kind of day that makes you realize that spring is not here YET. Spring is such a tease! She shows a little blue sky and sunshine and I get all happy. Also, I read Mark Bittman's soup recipes.

I really did not feel like going to the store so I used what I had on hand:
002

Soup Improv

1 pound Italian Sausage

1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, smashed

1/2 cup dried field peas
1 Parmesan rind
1 quart chicken broth

1 can mixed veggies, drained
1 can chopped tomatoes

In a large soup pot, brown the sausage. Fish the sausage out, leaving the greasy bits in the pan. Drain the sausage on a plate lined with paper towels.

Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic and let saute for ten minutes or until the vegetables are translucent. Add the field peas, Parmesan rind and chicken broth. Simmer until the peas are tender, 35 minutes for me. I also had to add about a cup of water during this cooking process because it evaporated during cooking.

Add the drained veggies and chopped tomatoes and simmer 10 minutes more.

Serve with grated Parmesan cheese and bread.

No comments: