Friday, May 13, 2011

Swiss Chard Tart

I really enjoy Cooking Channel. Lately, I have been watching French Food at Home's Laura Calder. She is like the Canadian Giada deLaurentis. And I really like her kitchen. Especially her sink the size of a cow trough.

A few days ago she made a Savory Swiss Chard Tart. This recipe intrigued me because I have a lot of Swiss Chard in my garden and was looking for a new way to eat it. Being minjenah, I adapted the recipe to what I had on hand as well as I did not make a crust because pie crust is something I did not want to make.

002

Swiss Chard Tart adapted from Laura Calder
4 slices of bacon, chopped
1 onion, minced
3 cloves of garlic, finely minced
1 large bunch of Swiss Chard, stems removed and finely chopped, leaves sliced into ribbons

4 eggs
1 cup of Greek Yogurt

2 handfuls of Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 handful of golden raisins
1 handful of toasted pecans


Preheat your oven to 350.

In a large skillet, saute the bacon until all the fat renders out and the bacon is nicely crisped. Add the garlic and onions and saute until they are cooked down and golden brown. Add the Swiss Chard stems and continue to cook until the stems are tender(this took a while- I stabbed them with a fork and decided they were done when I could easily do the stabbing). Add the leaves of Swiss Chard until they are wilted (this part went quickly).

Take the skillet off the heat to cool. Grease an 8 x 8 casserole. While the Swiss Chard mixture is cooling, beat the eggs and the Greek Yogurt until well combined. Season liberally with salt and pepper. This would be an ideal time to toast the pecans as well.

After the Swiss Chard mixture is cool to the touch, add the cheese, the pecans and the raisins. Pour this into your casserole and pour the eggs on top. Shake the casserole a bit to fill up the gaps. Put in the oven and bake for about 40 minutes.

Serve with a mixed green salad.

The thing I liked the best about this was actually the thing I though I would dislike- the raisins. The raisins added a nice sweet counterpoint against all the bacon and cheese.

No comments: