Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Making Marinara

I am so channeling my inner Italian grandmother.

001

I am not anywhere near Italian but I like to watch Cooking Channel and this recipe was influenced by a few shows I saw on it. I have no idea which shows, but the big thing was the adding of the butter. Wow, made a huge difference.


Minjenah's Marinara


1 large onion, finely chopped
6 cloves of garlic, smashed
6 sweet banana peppers out of the garden, chopped
2T of butter
2 T olive oil
2.5 pounds of garden grown roma tomatoes
1/2 cup red wine
1 6 ounce can of tomato paste
1 T fresh oregano
6 fresh roma tomatoes, roughly chopped


Take the first three ingredients and saute in the olive oil and butter until soft. Blend the tomatoes and red wine and tomato paste until finely pureed. Let this simmer uncovered for about 3 hours. It should be nice and thick. Add the oregano and chopped romas and let it simmer for another half an hour. The chopped romas add a nice chunkiness which I rather liked as well as a bright acidity.

I would show you a picture of the sauce but we ate it all. Some people just dipped it in garlic bread and ate it over the pot.

No comments: