Friday, August 5, 2011

Volunteer Cantaloupes

Last year I coddled my cantaloupes. I pollinated the flowers with a clean paintbrush and flagged the melons when I would pick them when they were PERFECTLY ripe. I fussed over them, trying to give them as much water as possible.

It was a total disaster. I got TWO melons during the whole growing season. I picked them too early, I picked them too late. There were rotten melons everywhere. This year, these volunteer plants just sprouted where we are growing acorn squash. I ignored them because of last year's fiasco. And on Saturday morning, I smelled the fragrant floral sweet smells of ripe melons. And between the zucchini, butternut and acorn squash I found not one but TWO perfectly ripe melons:

002

It was like a melon Christmas. And they were delicious and sweet.

No comments: