Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Pizza Dough Revised

Since I first posted my pizza dough recipe, I have changed it. It was not really a conscious decision, it was more about making it healthier. Also, I had read Jim Lahey's book and he espoused about the wonders of time in bread making and I tried it.

Minjenah's Pizza Dough

1.5 cups of warm water
1 T honey
1 T yeast

2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups bread flour
2 T Kosher salt
1/4 cup Olive Oil

Mix the water, honey and yeast in a large bowl. Let the mixture get foamy. Add the next four ingredients in the order that I have listed. Mix to combine. I use a Dough Whisk
, but I am a gadget girl.

Then I leave it overnight. If it is summer, I let it rise in the fridge. In the winter, in a cold oven. Right before I bake it, I do a quick knead (less than a minute) in the bowl that it was proofing in. Then I roll it out, top it and bake it at 550 for about ten minutes.

This can make 2-6 pizzas depending on how thin I roll it out as well as how big the pan is. I use half sheet pans usually and on average I can make four pizzas and one little pizza for the kidlet who only likes cheese and sauce.

3 comments:

chefhelen said...

Thank you! This looks terrific! A friend is having a b'day party on Thursday and I've been asked to make bread for 12 so I may make this for my lunch that day. Do you think that you can par bake the crust and it would be ok or do you think that the dough would hold for a few days in the fridge?

Thanks again for the great looking recipe!

Minjenah said...

It holds for up to a week in the fridge but I recommend adding another 1/4 cup of olive oil so the dough does not dry out.

Par baking tends to make the crust dry.

chefhelen said...

Thanks for the hints. I'll give it a shot soon. I would do it tomorrow but the Red Cross is stalking me for my platelets and I have to go do that. I'm going to pull some of my homemade bread out of the freezer for the party tomorrow since I don't think I will have time to make any.