Wednesday, February 1, 2012

January Challenge 2012 in Review

So this January I challenged myself to only buy 100 dollars worth of groceries. I did. I will add that we have a vegetable garden, we ate out five times this month, and that I really don't eat breakfast. I also started the month with a very full fridge, a packed pantry and and overstuffed freezer.

The main thing about doing this is it makes me aware how lucky I am not to look at prices most of the time and buy whatever I want food wise. About 46 million people are on some sort of food assistance. That is about 15 percent of the country. Think of it like this: one in seven people in this country get assistance because they do not make enough to feed themselves and their family.

The thing one must do to eat cheaply is to use meat as a condiment, not as a main dish.

So here is what I bought this month. I did not eat this all in the month. And I spent $99.72 for the month of January.

Dairy:
8 Smart Balance Half Gallon Milk
1 quart Land O Lakes Half and Half
8 ounces DiGiorno Grated Parmesan
1 dozen eggs
4 pounds Velveeta cheese

Meat:
2 pounds Italian Sausage
3 pounds Bacon
2 pounds Breakfast sausage
5.2 pounds ground beef
2 whole chickens
1 pound turkey bacon
1 pound turkey cold cuts

Pantry Items:
Hamburger Buns
2 packages goldfish wheat bread
8 100 count Splenda
2 Crystal Lights
1 loaf Nature Own Whole Wheat Bread
4 16 ounce jars Newman's Salsa
4 boxes Pepperidge Farm crackers
2 loaf Pepperidge Farm Cinnamon Raisin Bread
Wheat Tortillas
1 package corn tortillas
1 loaf whole wheat bread

Produce:
1 pound stir fry veggies
9 bananas
1 bunch scallions
1 pound zucchini
1 bunch cilantro
7 limes
2 pounds of beets

No comments: