Thursday, April 5, 2012

Biscuits

Biscuits are not something that I grew up eating.  The first biscuit I had came from a fast food joint.  And it was a buttery hockey puck.

This is what I make now:
006

Yohboh had a co-worker come by and he ate three of them, standing up.

The thing I did differently this time is I stuck the whole bowl of dry ingredients in the freezer before I added the buttermilk.  Made a much flakier biscuit.  Will I do it every time?  Probably not.  But it will be nice to do the night before for an easier Sunday morning big breakfast.

Overnight biscuits

2 cups of all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

4 tablespoons butter, cold

One cup of buttermilk, cold

Combine the first four ingredients in a large bowl.  I like to use my hands.

Then I add the butter.  I combine it until the buttery floury stuff looks like cornmeal.

I stick this in the freezer indefinitely.

Then I heat the oven to 450.

I poured the buttermilk into the floury stuff. Combine until it is a very loose dough.  Put it on a floured surface and I like to cut out 8-10 biscuits with a sharp knife.

Bake 15-20 minutes until they look like what is up there.

Kidlet ate two of these with LOTS of butter.

No comments: