Thursday, December 20, 2012

Chicken Pot Pie


007
The first time I had chicken pot pie was in college and it was not good.  It was one of those frozen 68 cent dinners that had enough sodium for three days.

So I made this one from scratch.

It has leftover roast chicken, sauteed carrots, onions, garlic, celery and frozen peas.  The sauce is homemade chicken stock, made from the roast chicken carcasses, thickened with Wondra flour and with a bit of cream.

The topping is White Lily biscuits from the back of the bag recipe from the self rising flour.

I baked it at 400 without the topping until it was bubbly.  Then I put the biscuits on top and bumped up the temp by 50 degrees. And baked about 25 minutes until it looked like this.

It was really really good.  Kidlet loved it.  Chuy loved it.  My husband loved it.

I am planning on always roasting two chickens so I can make this regularly.

And I am thinking that shepherd's pie would be really amazing with a biscuit topping.

No comments: