Wednesday, January 2, 2013

January Grocery Challenge

Happy New Year to all of you.

To start of 2013, I am doing a grocery challenge. I have done this a few years in a row. I thought it would be a good way to kick off the year to do it again. It makes me look through the pantry and freezer and use items up, which is a good thing. Sometimes, I think, "There is nothing in the house to eat." When really, there is a lot of stuff to eat, I just don't feel like eating it.

So I am going to buy only 100 dollars worth of groceries this month, including tax. I should add that I have a very full refrigerator, an extremely well stocked pantry and a full freezer. There is a vegetable garden as well.

Here are my rules:
1) Meals out do not count.
2) That being said on average we eat one meal out a week, which we normally eat with a coupon.
3) I eat most of my meals at home, as does my children . Yohboh brings lunch with him most of the time.  Kidlet does as well.

1 comment:

chefhelen said...

I know that I really want to do this but I am SO afraid because I really, REALLY like to find bargains and fill up the freezer. That being said, I bought about 25# of chicken (breast and thighs that I boned out so I have meat and bones for stock/soup), 6# of lean chili beef (I cooked it off and have already made a gallon of chili with 3#) and a whole ribeye (whoo hoo, thank you SuperH mart. It was 3.29/lb). I know that I have PLENTY in the freezer, fridge and pantry. I guess I should follow your lead and give it a shot.