Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Almond and Clementine Cake

I made this cake.

003

This is Nigella Lawson's recipe.  I was curious about it with the fact it has no flour or butter, which I consider to be important for cake.  Also, I found some almonds in the freezer and I had no idea how old they were.  And I had some clementines that were too dry to eat but I am sure would be flavorful.  And this recipe was just so foreign I had to try it.  You boil oranges for two hours?  You add whole boiled oranges?  How good is this?

It is a bit eggy with a texture like tamogoyaki. And a similar sweetness level.  The only things I did differently in the recipe were I added 2 tablespoons of vanilla. and a teaspoon of salt, because I think in sweets you should always add a bit of salt.  I did this all in the food processor.  I actually had slivered almonds that I ground into the almond flour.

Would I make it again?  Only if I find myself with almonds in the freezer of an unknown province and and more dry clementines.  Probably next year at this time.

No comments: