Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Upside down summer fruit cake

Every summer, when all the stone fruit and berries come in I buy them.  I love the pretty colors and the aromas.

But fruit is a perishable item, and all the vibrant colors and aromas are fleeting.

So I made an upside down cake in a cast iron skillet.


001

003

Upside Down Cake

For the caramel and fruit layer

4 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
Assorted fruits, I used apricots, peaches and blueberries

For  the cake layer

1 stick of butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup buttermilk

Melt the butter in a cast iron skillet and add the brown sugar and let the sugar melt and bubble.  Set it aside to cool.

While waiting for the caramel to cool,  cut up your fruit .  When the caramel is cool, put the fruit in a pretty pattern.  This was my favorite part.

Preheat the oven to 350.

Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl. Add the vanilla and eggs and beat well.  Add the next three ingredients and mix well.  Add the buttermilk.

Pout the cake batter over the fruit stuff.  Bake for about 45 minutes, but it could go on longer, depending on the size of your skillet and how accurate your oven is.  It took me about 45 minutes.  Use a cake tester, pay attention.

Let the cake cool in the skillet for about 20-30 minutes.  Loosen the cake part with a knife and then flip over onto a plate.  I actually had my husband do this part because the skillet is HEAVY.  Honestly, all you grandmothers who cooked with cast iron every day must have biceps!

004

Serve with ice cream but I found that this was a very nice breakfast with yogurt.

I have no idea how many servings this is but it lasted three days in our house.


No comments: