Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Share our Strength

When you vegetable garden, when the cucumbers come it, there is a plethora of them.  More than you, your family, friends and neighbors can possibly eat.  Same goes for squash, peppers, eggplants.  And yes, even tomatoes.

And every year, I would get stressed out because a fresh picked veggie is a time bomb.  And we worked so hard to grow the things, but there is no physical way to eat them all or give them away.

But I have found a solution.  Most food banks in this country are desperate for fresh produce.  If you want a sugary snack, they have those for days.  Fresh vegetable are a rarity.  So through Share Our Strength  and some asking around, I found a food bank near my house and will be donating the extras to them.

I am of the lucky ones.  I do not have to stress about how to make food stretch or if I have to take my kid to the doctor or put gas in the car.   And I have more than enough cucumbers this week.

No comments: