Thursday, January 29, 2015

Strawberry Pretzel Salad

Yohboh and I were watching Cooks County on PBS and they made something called Strawberry Pretzel Salad.

It is not a salad.  It is  a layered dessert.  And it is DELICIOUS.  And I do not want to like this as much as I do.  It contains Jello and I have a deep disdain for Jello.

005

But sometimes,  you have to embrace the Jello.

This is not a hard recipe but each layer requires time to cool.

Strawberry Pretzel Salad



For the pretzel crust
8 ounces of pretzels
3/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup sugar
fat pinch of Kosher salt

For the white layer
8 ounces of cream cheese at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 tub Cool Whip

For the red layer
2 3 ounce packages of strawberry Jello
1 pound of sliced strawberries

For the pretzel crust:
Preheat the oven to 350.
Whiz the pretzels in a food processor.  Add the sugar, butter and salt until it gets clumpy.  Press into a 9 x 13 pan and bake for about ten minutes.  Leave it to cool.


For the white layer
Whip the cream cheese and sugar together until it looks light and fluffy.  Add the Cool Whip.  Put it on the COOLED pretzel crust.  Put it in the fridge to get good and cold.  I did this for about an hour.

For the red layer
Add the sliced strawberries on top of the cold white layer.  Make the Jello with the QUICK SET method (if you have no idea of what I speak of, look on the side of the gelatin box, it will tell you.) When the gelatin starts to thicken, pour it over the cold white layer.

Chill until firm, it took about two hours for me.

Makes A LOT.



4 comments:

Karen Gonzalez said...

You made me curious. I found this jello-free version.

http://www.creative-culinary.com/the-strawberry-pretzel-salad-is-born-again-as-dessert/

You should make it and tell me if it is good! :)

Yohboh said...

Why on Earth would you want a Jello-free version?

There's no jiggle without Jello.

Karen Gonzalez said...

Lol... because she said she has a disdain for jello! Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle. :)

chefhelen said...

I have not lived in the south long enough. I do not understand this stuff any more than I understand either ambrosia or sweet potato casserole. Eh, to each his own!