Monday, January 26, 2015

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough for KC

I promised KC that I would write up my pizza dough recipe.

Here are the ingredients:

001



1.5 cups of hot tap water
1T of yeast (I get my yeast from Sam's Club in a two pound package--keep it in the freezer and it keeps for years)
1 T of honey

I mix this all in the bottom of a big bowl.  Then I leave it alone for about five minutes and it should have a nice layer of foam on it.  If it does not, your yeast is dead.  I can tell you that this has never happened to me and I have kept yeast for 5-7 years.

Add about 2T of olive oil into the foamy stuff.

Then I add 1.5 cups of whole wheat flour and mix it in.


003

This is my dough whisk in the bowl.  No one needs one but it does make this process easier.  And I am person who likes a gadget.

Add about a 1/2 tablespoon of salt.

Then add about 2.5 cups of bread flour.  You can use regular all purpose flour but I like bread flour because I think it makes a crisper crust.  Now this is the part that is tricky.  Because it depends on factors outside of measurement, like humidity and what not.  You may need more flour on not.  The best way I can tell is when it pulls away from the bowl in a lump of dough.  It stops looking like a flour paste and looks like play dough.  Then I put it in a cold oven and forget about it.

The following day, it will look like this.

003

On average, this amount will make 2-3 pizzas depending how thin you like them.  Each pizza should fit on a half sheet pan.


No comments: