Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Chai Tea Latte

I was craving one of those chai latte things from Starbucks.  But it is TOO COLD for me to leave the house so I used what I had on hand and made something that was close:

001



Thumb sized glob of ginger,  cut into fat matchsticks
1 star anise
10 cardamom pods
30 peppercorns
1 cinnamon stick
10 cloves

I put all this stuff in a little bag and beat it up with a small skillet.  It was very satisfying to do this.  Then I put the beat up spices in a saucepan and let it toast for a few seconds until it smelled like spice.  Then I put four cups of cold water into the pan and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.  This smells AWESOME.

I took it off the heat and added about eight teabags.  I wish I could say I used something fancy, but I had Lipton on hand and that is what I used.  I let it steep for about 5 minutes.

Then I added a 12 ounce can of evaporated milk into the saucepan.  I brought it back to a simmer.  Then I strained it and put it in a mason jar.  This is concentrated chai stuff so it needs to be diluted in a 1 to 1 ratio.  I sweetened it with a little honey, but I really do not like it too sweet.  Shocking, if you know me in real life because I like things sweet but tea is not one of them.

I had another cup just now.  I microwaved the concentrate with one part water.

And I feel smug that I did not spend $4.50 and go out in the cold.  But I did put it in a Starbucks mug because it is my favorite mug.

No comments: