Sunday, April 3, 2016

My almost plant based day thanks to Sprouts

A few Saturdays ago, I was invited along with other members of the Atlanta Food Blogger's Society to the Morningside Sprouts to meet with Marisa Moore, a registered dietitian to talk about a plant based lifestyle.


Sprouts-Storewide-Interior


I will be honest, my family and I are not vegans but we do eat our fair share of plants.  And I am always interested in incorporating more plants into our diet.

I had not been to Sprouts before either so I was interested in visiting.  Marisa was very informative about what strategies to use to include more plants into our diet like use hummus instead of mayonnaise in a sandwich or have packets of nut butters with you for a ready made snack.

Can I just tell you?  SPROUTS IS AMAZING!

They have a bakery section, cheese and meat, ready made foods and pantry items.  But the thing that impressed me was their produce.  They have all the wackadoo vegetables that I love like purple carrots, shishito peppers and this interesting fruit:

009

What is it?

010

It is a mini kiwi fruit which my whole family loved.  I put the raspberry in there to give you an idea of the size.


I was given a gift card to Sprouts so I decided to try a plant based day for my family.

That morning we had:

002

Tropical smoothies with coconut yogurt.

I took the things in the picture and put them in the blender.  It was the whole container of the coconut yogurt, one coconut yogurt container of pineapple chunks, four tablespoons of chia seeds, four tablespoons of ground flax seeds.

I had never tried coconut yogurt before and it was really good.  My youngest child loves coconut and she devoured this.

Later my daughters and I made:


006


pumpkin spice muffins which were made with coconut oil and soy flour for the eggs.

Which led to this lunch:


007

which my youngest said looked like a rainbow.  Marisa recommended eating the natural rainbow to get all your nutrients on a plant based diet.  There is a stick cheese there but my kiddos asked for it and I complied.

And the kids loved the snow peas so much that they ended up eating the rest of them all day as snacks.


And then I made a green tomato pizza.

008


I tried to avoid all non plant based items but I have to tell you pizza is not pizza without cheese.  So I had a mostly plant based today.



I think Sprouts is an excellent market and that it can provide a lot of good food for a family.  It certainly did mine!


I was not paid for this post but I was given a gift card to Sprouts thanks to the Atlanta Food Blogger's Society.  All these opinions are mine.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I love this post Min, it's a great write up and I am so happy you were able to join us for the tour! I'd never tried coconut yogurt before either and now I'm a huge fan. I only bought two with my $100 gift card... along with $97 worth of "gone crazy over produce"! I'm with you! I. Love. Sprouts. Produce. It is absolutely the cleanest and prettiest I've seen. The beets sucked me in during the tour so I found myself right back there at them. I swear I took 100 pics of their produce and those beets? They took up half that number. I felt so silly snapping all those pics, I had to keep telling people I was a food blogger. At least telling people stopped all the odd stares.